Did you know that a debt collector cannot contact a third party about your alleged debts? If they were to contact a family member, coworker, friend, etc. and disclose information about your debt then they are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Because of this, if a collection agency discloses information about your debt to a third party, you may be eligible for up to $1,000 in damages.
What Third Parties Can Debt Collector Contact?
Your debt cannot be discussed with anyone that is not involved. This means that if you lived with a family member, the debt collector can only ask about you whereabouts and the best way to contact you. They cannot bring up the debt or discuss the debt.
The only time a spouse can be contacted about the debt would be if the debt is in both of your names or if you give the debt collector permission to speak to your spouse about the debt. Any other times that a debt is disclosed to a spouse is in violation of the FDCPA.
If a Third Party Is Contacted
If a debt collector contacts a third party about your debt, then you may be able to seek damages. You should consult with a consumer rights attorney. With assistance from a lawyer, you have a better chance of winning your case, getting the debt collectors to stop using embarassing means to collect your debt as well as receive compensation for damages. Complete the Free Case Evaluation on this page to find an attorney that takes cases in your area today!
If a specific debt collection agency has contacted a third party about your debt, find out what to do:
- Account Services Collections, Inc.
- Ad Astra Recovery Services, Inc.
- Atlantic Credit & Finance
- Audit Systems, Inc
- Avante USA, LTD
- Capio Partners, LLC
- CCS Companies
- CRME Financial Services, Inc.
- Commonwealth Financial System
- Consumer Portfolio Services, INC
- Credence Resources Management, LLC
- DCM Services
- Delta Outsource Group, INC
- FH Cann & Associates, Inc.
- Harris & Harris, Ltd
- Hillcrest, Davidson, & Associates, LLC
- Hunter Warfield, Inc.
- Glass Mountain Capital, LLC
- Lockhart, Morris & Montgomery, Inc.
- McCarthy Burgess & Wolff
- Medical Financial Solutions
- Municipal Services Bureau
- Paramount Recovery Systems
- Prince Parker & Associates
- Radius Global Solutions, LLC
- Rash Curtis & Associates
- Recovery Solutions Group
- Sequium Asset Solutions, Inc.
- SIMM Associates, Inc.
- SRS & Associates, Inc
- Synerprise Consulting Services, Inc.