Enacted in 1978, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) is meant to protect consumers from harassing and abusive means used by collection agencies to collect a debt. Under the FDCPA, a collection agency must validate your debt they are trying to collect. If you request a debt validation letter and the collection does not send you one, then you may be eligible for compensation.
What is a Debt Validation Letter?
A debt validation letter is to prove the debt belongs to you. It should describe the debt, how it originated, what the amount is as well as any other important information. If a debt collects begins contacting you to collect a debt, you send request a validation letter before paying the debt. The collection agency will then have 5 days to send you a validation notice. If they do not send one, then you should contact a consumer rights lawyer as they are in violation of the FDCPA.
Get Help From an FDCPA Lawyer
Consulting with a creditor harassment attorney will increase the chances you have a successful claim receive compensation for the violations. Attorney fees are often built into a settlement, so you will not have to pay your lawyer unless you win your claim. Complete the Free Case Evaluation on this page to get started!
Below is more information on what to do if a specific collection agency fails to send you debt validation notice:
- Account Services Collections, Inc.
- Amcol Systems, Inc.
- Atlantic Credit & Finance
- Audit Systems Inc.
- CCS Companies
- CMRE Financial Services, Inc.
- Convergent Outsourcing
- Credence Resources Management, LLC
- Delta Outsource Group, Inc.
- Donald R. Conrad, PLC Collection Agency
- FH Cann & Associates
- Global Collection Agency
- Global Credit & Collection
- Hillcrest, Davidson, and Associates, LLC
- IMC Credit Services, LLC
- IQ Data International
- Linebarger, Goggan, Blair & Sampson, LLP
- Medical Financial Solutions
- Monarch Recovery Management, Inc
- MRS Associates
- National Commercial Services Inc.
- National Recoveries, Inc.
- Paramount Recovery Systems
- Penn Credit
- Prince Parker and Associates
- Professional Account Management, LLC.
- Rash Curtis & Associates
- Recovery Solutions Group
- Roquemore & Roquemore, Inc.
- SIMM Associates, Inc.
- SRS & Associates, Inc.
- Synerprise Consulting Services, Inc.
- Vital Recovery Services