If you’ve fallen behind on your monthly bills, or worse, have been falsely accused of owing a debt, there are resources available for you and your family. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) was enacted in 1978 with the promise of stopping third-party debt collectors from harassing consumers and their loved ones. Unfortunately, not all debt collectors abide by the FDCPA. If you feel that collection agency misrepresent themselves while trying to collect a debt from your, you may be eligible for an FDCPA lawsuit.
What is Misrepresentation
If you are called by a debt collector, look out for these common was they might be guilty of misrepresentation:
- Not identifying themselves or who they are working for
- Misrepresenting the amount that you owe
- Misrepresenting the statute of limitations or legal repercussions for not paying your debt
- Claiming to be law enforcement or a government official
Damages You May Be Entitled To
Under the FDCPA, debtors can receive $1,000 for statutory damages if they are able to prove their case in court. Additionally, the court might can award actual damages if there are any physical or emotional damages. Stress can lead to a host of physical ailments such as rashes, headaches, and cardiovascular issues. The debt collection agency might also be required to pay you back for any lost wages, wage garnishment, or attorneys fees.
More Specific Information on Misrepresentation
If a debt collection agency misrepresents themselves to you, immediately speak with an attorney. Learn more about what to do if you are called by a specific agency:
- Audit Systems, Inc.
- Amcol Systems, INC.
- Atlantic Credit and Finance
- Avante USA, Ltd.
- CBE Group, Inc.
- CMRE Financial Services, Inc.
- Commonwealth Financial Systems
- Consumer Portfolio Services Inc.
- Credence Resources Management, LLC
- CSS Companies
- Delta Outsource Group, Inc.
- Donald R. Conrad
- Glass Mountain Capital, LLC
- Global Collection Agency
- Harris And Harris Ltd.
- Hillcrest, Davidson & Associates, LLC
- Hunter Warfield, Inc.
- IMC Credit Services, LLC
- Linebarger, Goggan, Blair, & Sampson, LLP.
- Lockhart, Morris, & Montgomery, Inc.
- Medical Financial Solutions
- Monarch Recovery Management, Inc.
- Municipal Services Bureau
- National Commercial Services, Inc.
- National Recoveries, Inc.
- Paramount Recovery Systems
- Penn Credit
- Professional Account Management, LLC
- Vital Recovery Services
- Radius Global Solutions, LLC
- Roquemore & Roquemore, Inc.
- Simms Associates, Inc.
- SRS and Associates, Inc.
- Synerprise Consulting Services, Inc.