In 1978, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) was passed as a way to clearly define what third party debt collectors could do in an effort to collect on those debts. In general, the FDCPA should ensure an accurate, transparent, and cordial process. However, there are many debt collectors that ignore the FDCPA. One behavior that the act specifically outlaws is issuing any threats.
What Is Considered A Threat?
If a debt collection company calls you, be on the lookout for the following threats:
- Threatening violence or physical harm
- Threatening to damage the reputation of the debtor
- Threatening to take any wages or property
- Threatening to have you arrested
- Threatening legal action against you
- Threatening to publish a list of debtors
If you heard any of this language during a call with a debt collector, you may be able to claim damages.
Damages You May Be Awarded
To receive any compensation for FDCPA violations, you will have to prove your claim in court. If you can do that, you will be eligible to receive $1,000 for the violation. If the debt collector has committed multiple FDCPA violations your compensation may be higher.
Speak With an Attorney
If you believe that a debt collector is threatening you, speak with an attorney. An FDCPA attorney knows your rights, has experience dealing with collection agencies, and will help you gather the evidence that you need for your case. To be connected with an FDCPA attorney, fill out the free evaluation here. If you would like to learn more about specific collection agencies, the list below will provide more information:
If a specific debt collection agency has threatened you, find out what to do:
- Account Services Collections, Inc.
- Ad Astra Recovery Services, Inc
- Alliance Collection Services
- Alliant Capital Management
- Amcol Systems, Inc.
- Arnold Scott Harris P.C.
- Atlantic Credit & Finance
- Audit Systems Inc.
- Avante Usa, Ltd.
- Bernstein, Shapiro & Associates, LLC
- Capio Partners, LLC
- Carson Smithfield
- CBE Group, Inc.
- CCS Companies
- CMRE Financial Services, Inc.
- Commonwealth Financial System
- Consumer Portfolio Services, Inc.
- Convergent Outsourcing, Inc.
- Delta Outsource Group, Inc.
- Donald R. Conrad, PLC
- FH Cann & Associates Inc.
- Glass Mountain Capital, LLC
- Global Credit & Collection
- Global Collection Agency
- Monarch Recovery Management, Inc.
- Paramount Recovery Systems
- Professional Account Management, LLC
- Radius Global Solutions, LLC
- Rash Curtis & Associates, Inc.
- Recovery Solutions Group
- Roquemore & Roquemore, Inc.