Having debt can be stressful. When your debt is sold to a third party collection agency, and this agency regularly calls you repeatedly in attempt to collect your debt, it can be even more stressful. Coming home from a long day only to find that a collection agency has left you a voicemail about your debt makes a bad situation even worse.
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) is a consumer protection law designed to prevent debt collection agencies from using certain methods of debt collection. Under the FDCPA, many previously used debt collection tactics became illegal.
While a debt collector is not expressly prohibited from leaving a voicemail, certain aspects of the FDCPA make it difficult for the collector to do so without violating any laws. For example, a debt collector must identify themselves when calling you, but they cannot reveal your debt information to a third party. A debt collector therefore may risk a third party listening to your voicemail and learning about your debt.
A debt collector could also violate the FDCPA by saying certain things, such as threats, in a voicemail. In addition, a debt collector should not leave you a voicemail at work.
An experienced FDCPA attorney can help you to understand if the FDCPA has been violated by a collection agency leaving you a voicemail. If your rights have been violated, your lawyer may even be able to help you win a claim in court.
Here is some more information on when a specific collection agency can leave you a voicemail:
- Account Services Collections, Inc.
- Ad Astra Recovery Services, Inc.
- Audit Systems, Inc.
- Amcol Systems Inc.
- Capio Partners, LLC
- CBE Group
- CCS Companies
- Commonwealth Financial System
- Consumer Portfolio Services
- Credence Resources Management, LLC
- Delta Outsource Group, Inc
- Donald R. Conrad, PLC
- Glass Mountain Capital, LLC
- Global Collection Agency
- Harris and Harris Ltd.
- Hillcrest, Davidson, & Associates
- Hunter Warfield, Inc.
- IMC Credit Services, LLC
- I.Q. Data International, Inc.
- Linebarger, Goggan, Blair & Sampson, LLP
- Lockhart, Morris & Montgomery, Inc.
- McCarthy, Burgess, & Wolff
- Medical Financial Solutions
- Monarch Recovery Management, Inc.
- MRS Associates
- Municipal Services Bureau
- National Commercial Services, Inc.
- National Recoveries, Inc.
- NCB Management Services, Inc.
- Paramount Recovery Systems
- Penn Credit
- Prince Parker & Associates
- Professional Account Management, LLC
- Radius Global Solutions, LLC
- Rash Curtis & Associates
- Recovery Solutions Group
- Roquemore & Roquemore, Inc.
- Sequium Asset Solutions
- SIMM Associates, Inc.
- SRS and Associates, Inc.
- Synerprise Consulting Services, Inc.
- Vital Recovery Services